NanoGong is a module of Trinity's Moodle server which allows faculty and students to create audio recordings. NanoGong can be especially utilized in language classes. It is a great tool that will record and play speech.
The use of NanoGong is not complex at all. There are a few steps you have to take which will enable you to enjoy the feature.
1) Go to your Moodle course page and turn editing on.
2) From "Add an activity" drop-down menu, choose "NanoGong assignment." You will be redirected to a new page.
3) Fill out the blank spaces with appropriate information. It is mandatory that you provide a name and a description for the assignment. In the example, below the assignment name is "Introduce yourself" which is followed by a short description.
As you scroll down the page, you will find more options. You can enable resubmissions of a recording. Having this option on will make sure that even in the case of technical difficulties, students will have another try to record themselves. You can also enable email alerts that will notify you when work has been submitted. Once you are done with adjusting the options, go to the bottom of the page and click "Save"
4) The assignment will be now available to the students in the class. They can make their recordings. They will see a screen with a player, similar to the one below. They can record themself by clicking on the Record button. Before they submit the assignment, they can also save a copy on their hard drive, by clicking on the Save icon at the right side of the player.
5) Once your students have submitted recordings, you can go and listen to them. To do so, find the assignment in the Gradebook and click to open it. A new page will open that will look similar to the one below:
6) In the top right-hand corner, you can see the number of submitted assignments. If you click on the "View X submitted assignments" you will be taken to a page where you will be able to see who had submitted a recording as well as listen to their recording.
In the example below, there is just one person who submitted the assignment. You can click on the play button and listen to the recording. You can also decrease/increase the speed of the recording so that you can understand better. Lastly, you can add grades and comments.
If you have questions regarding the use of NanoGong, please do not hesitate to get in touch with the STA office. We are here to assist you!